Friday, January 29, 2010

Overcome

One of my friends e-mailed me today asking if I have any regrets or wish I could do something differently if I had the chance. I had a difficult time picking just one thing, but now I am certain I know what I would choose.

I would visit my Uncle Jayme in Brazil before he died.

Refer back to my blog entry from January 14th, 2009, in which I described the passing of two of my uncles, one day apart, if you'd like to know more about Jayme.

I don't know why suddenly I'm overcome with grief. I am literally crying as I type this. It greatly saddens me that I never met this kind man, Jayme Avaiusini, the one living relative from my father's side who indicated an interest in getting to know me, who sent me cards in the mail on my birthday, and even a graduation gift when I finished at UW. All this from a man who didn't even know I existed until I was in college.

It's been over a year since he passed, but I don't think I ever allowed myself to grieve back then.

I'm grieving now.